Hot Java Links
This page contains links to Java resources. You will find
tutorials, Java Certification Mockup Exams (HTML & Simulated), Java Study Groups, Java
Books, etc... Have fun! This site is for YOU, so if you
know of any additional "Hot Java Links" please email me and I add them.
Feel free to add a link to this site.
Java - Sun's Links
Java Resource Sites
Microsoft's Java Resources
Sites Dedicated to Java Certification
- The contents of this page are intended for SCJP 1.2 exam (310-025) and
resources specific to SCJP 1.4 exam (310-035). The Sun Certified Java
Programmers Exam (SCJP) is the internationally recognized certification of
Java knowledge. This site contains the equivalent of many hundreds of pages
of information to help students of this exam. It includes Mock Exams,
tutorials, Frequently Asked Questions and sample code.
http://www.javarabbit.com - here is a
quote from the site: "This site is dedicated to Sun's Java
Certification and to all you need to prepare successfully for your Java
Certification exam. Find links to Java training courses, good sites
dedicated to Sun Java Certification, SCWCD and SCJP mock exams, good Java
books and plenty of other Java resources in the relevant sections on these
- www.danchisholm.net - I received
an email that had the following text: "It's a very popular site. I've
received hundreds of emails from people from around the world that have used
it to prepare for the exam."
- www.javaprepare.com - A great
site to prepare for the Java Certification Exam. Tutorial,
example exams and more. This site provides all the information which
one may need to prepare for Sun's Java Certification. It has a detailed Java
Tutorial covering all the topics of the Java Certification exam. Besides a
large number of sample questions for each topic, the site has FAQ on Java
Certification and links to a large number of Certification site. Many
thanks to Naveen Gabrani.
- www.jchq.net - by
Marcus Green. Awesome resources, tutorials, etc... You must visit
- www.michael-thomas.com/java - by Michael Thomas
- by Michael Thomas. Java Architect resources.
- www.javaranch.com - by Paul
Wheaton (also Kathy Kozel ). You'll find this site to be a delightfully interesting.
Make sure you visit the "Big Moose Saloon" which is a Java forum.
- by David Hecksel. You can purchase a product to learn Java &
prepare for the Certified Java Programmer Exam (~$70). Great simulator
- www.javacert.com -
Links on Java Certification & a Discussion Group. Also a list of
books, some study notes, etc...
- www.esus.com - a free
place to store and share Java technology knowledge based on question/answer
and related links. Here is a quote from there site, "Our
mission is to get you to the programming resources you need as quickly as
Quick Start - Looking back, this is what I would do
to become a Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer.
If I already new the fundamentals of Java programming and I want to become a
Sun Certified Java2 Programmer, then I would take the following steps:
(the quickest path)
- Purchase Bill Brodgen's 2
books on Java2 Certification: Cram & Prep. Study these 2
books. The "Cram" book will test your knowledge and the
"Prep" book will help prepare you for the exam.
- Purchase the JCertify Simulation
Exam software. Has a tutorial and a simulated exam.
- As soon as you can pass the simulated exams with 90%, then order the exam
from SUN. A note of warning, the exam is difficult!
Java - For the Beginner (Green Horn)
- www.jcert.org - This
site describes the Java Certification Initiative. You will find
information on the 3 levels of Java certification: 1) Programmer, 2)
Solution Developer, 3) Enterprise Developer.
- Overview of Certification Initiative: Sun, IBM, Novell, Oracle, Netscape and other
companies have joined to create a new certification path: Sun Certified Programmer,
Certified Solution Developer, and Certified Enterprise Developer (total of 5 tests).
Click here for one of his slides
showing all three.
- by David Hecksel, author of JCertify's Simulated Java Exams. This is the slide
presentation he gave at JavaOne (17 slides).
- Links to major players web sites.
Java - Other Certifications
Java Technical Resources
- MathTools (Java Portal Sections)
- Java Portal: Content/Tutorials, community, and service for Java professionals. Providing
technical discussion, job postings, an integrated directory, news, and much
Java - Tutorials & Exam Cram Notes
Java Certification preparation by Whizlabs - provides certification
preparation kits for various Java certifications.
SCJP 5.0 Preparation Kit - Ensure your success in
SCJP 5.0 exam with Whizlabs preparation kit. Backed by
Unique and Industry-best ‘Unconditional 150% Test PASS
Guarantee’, the kit contains 6 full length simulated
mock exams and interactive quiz (over 580 questions) on
the real exam pattern. The advanced features like
Adaptive Testing, Intelligent Reporting, In-depth
Customization, Exhaustive Explanations, Printing,
Question Bookmark, and Feedback not only ensure that you
pass in the exam but also gain the knowledge and skills
required to have a successful career. Endorsed and
recognized by industry experts, Whizlabs exam
preparation kits have contributed to the success of over
500,000 IT professionals with 99.7% Success Rate, since
year 2000. Still not convinced? Take a FREE demo and
find out for yourself.
- Links to over 33 Practice Exams.
- html sytle exam (45 questions) - UK cool site!
- Mockup Exam by Dr
John Hunt - html style exam.
- html style exam. 42 questions.
- Good! Java Applet, simulates the exam.
- JCertify (~$70) - exam simulation software and Java training. (by
David Hecksel, Bruce Eckel, Richard Baldwin & Roedy Green). Need
to consider the investment!
- http://eddiemcnally.hypermart.net -
"Jxam + Java Resources" by Eddie McNally. Download for free Jxam's
simulated exam with 170 questions in the database. You also get the source code!
The exam is timed, and the maximum number of questions is 59. There are also
links to various OO topics, such as CORBA, Embedded Java and general Java resources.
- Has Java 2 Programmer Exam review & simulated Exam Quiz. The EXAM is an
awesome learning tool also. You're asked a question, the immediatedly told the
results and why! Thanks Jamie Jaworski. (also has Java 2 Architect)
- www.mayaconsultancy.com - Java 2
Simulated exam with over 250 questions for ~$55. Soon will be at Flashline.com and
Beyond.com. (Many questions from Marcus Green!)
- IBM's Simulated Exam - 30 questions, then
a grade. You will not know which questions you missed, therefore it is not a good
training tool! I don't think it is a good gage for passing the Exam.
- IT Certification Portal. I'm not a member, but looks
interesting. Check the exam list and search for "Java".
- This site has a Online Java Certification Exam in HTML (over 600 questions
& answers along with explanations broken into sections. At the home page click on "Publishing
House" at the bottom, then "The Preparation Book to the Java
Programming Exam (in English)".
- www.certprep.itgo.com - JCSP
- Free JCSP mockup exam applet. Thanks Ashok for your contribution.
Java Applet simulates an exam with a timer, etc... You can mark
questions that you would later like to review. Great job. No
coaching ("reason why in") the exam.
Amazon.com has most of the books listed below. Also, I'm undecided
about which book is the best. I own most of them.
Always look for the latest editions.
- Java 2 Exam Cram - by Bill Brogden $29.99 ISBN: 1-57610-291-2
(Certification Insider Press)
Cram for the exam with this book. Only covers the SCJP exam.
- Java 2 Exam Prep - by Bill Brogden $49.99 (Certification Insider Press) Prepare for the
exam with this book. Only covers the SCJP exam.
- Java 2 Certification Training Guide. - by Jamie Jaworski, published
by New Riders. ISBN 1-562-05950-5. Covers Sun Certified Java2
Programmer, Developer, & Architect. Has a CD with simulated exam
- Complete Java 2 Certification Study Guide - by Simon Robers & Philip Heller,
Sybex (I've heard its good.)
- A Programmer's Guide to Java Certification by Mughal & Rasmussen
(ISBN 0-201-59614-8, Addison Wesley, www.awl.com/cseng)
(Programmer Exam only)
- Java Certification for Programmers and Developers (JDK 1.1) - by Barry Boone (I used this
one, however I don't think he will have a JDK 2 version !),
McGraw-Hill $54.95 ISBN 0-07-913657-5
- Links to "Free Online Java Books". Free pdf of Java Tips.
- Java Master Reference JDK 1.1 - by Aurthur Griffith (awesome
Java reference book, not a certification guide book!)
- Java, How To Program by Deitel & Deitel (look for the latest
- Edition 3 - Covers all of the Java 2 basics plus: JDBC, Servlets, RMI,
Networking, and JavaBeans.
- Very good book. A little to wordy for me but has excellent
- by Bruce Eckel:
- Book on Swing by Matthew Robinson
& Pavel Vorobiev. You can view the book online (pre-published
version) , download to your local machine, or purchase the book.
Matt's personal home page is at http://mattrobinson.com
- "Java, How to Program" by Deitel & Deitel (published by
Prentice Hall). I used this book at a Community college to get
familiar with Java. Look for the latest editions. www.deitel.com - These authors have several Java
books & free downloads.
- The Java Tutorial for the Real World by Yakov Fain. I haven't read
the book but the site looks promising. There are some free Tutorials
(Online Lessons) at his site.
Java Web Ring
- http://nav.webring.org - Web Ring
(Free). Click on "Directory", then "Programming", then
"Java Certification Ring". There is a list of Java Sites oriented towards
Java jobs and related skills advertised online. Hundreds of UK
and international Java
jobs advertised from top corporate and recruitment agencies.
- www.justjavajobs.com - a Job
Site just for Java programmers - neat idea!
JDC Resources (Java Developer Connection)
Keep in touch with Java technology! Tutorials, white pages, great
resource! Also, sign up for 2 Email subscriptions: Tech Tips &
Java - IBM
- www.ibm.com/developer/java - IBM's Java
Technology Zone ("Developer Works"). Online tutorials available free of
charge in the Education section (left frame) of the Java Zone.
- "Introduction to Java or COBOL Programmers"
- "Introduction to Servlets"
- "Introduction to Java Server Pages"
- "Corba", Java Beans, Java JFC, etc...
- www.ibm.com/java -
IBM's Java Home Page
Java - Business Case
- Author Keith Rutledge, IBM Java Segment Manager, explains what Java is and why it's
important. He also explains the technology in business terms at a fundamental level and
explains the ultimate effects of the technology on businesses. Business &
Java 1.1 vs Java 1.2 (aka Java 2) Exam
- Note: Java 1.2 & Java 2 is the same version. So if you have a book on
Java 1.2 then you have a book on Java 2. Sun changed the name of the version for
- Question: Which exam should you study for Java 1.1 or Java 1.2 (also
known as Java 2)?
Answer: Java 2 (aka Java1.2).
Java 1.1 vs Java 2 (1.2) Exam - less focus on AWT, except for layout
Managers, and you need to study the "Collections API". Here's a quote from Bill
Brogden's book Java 2 Exam Cram (ISBN: 1-57610-291-2) "If you have been
working mainly with the Java 1.1 and are wondering which exam to take, the Collections API
is the only new material you will have to study to take the Java 2 exam. I recommend
going ahead and taking the Java 2 exam, to gain the most recent certification." pg 8.
- 1.1 vs 1.2
(Java 2) Certification test differences - by Charles Bradley
- www.mobiltape.com - Tapes of JavaOne (Sun's
Worldwide Developer Conference) - (from 1997 - Current). Tapes of the sessions
(131 sessions for 950 or $10.00 each)
Java Study Groups
Java User Groups (JUG's)
Java Special Interest Groups
Java Groups & Magazine/Articles
- Certification Magazine - for certified professionals of information
technology. Look for the Java link at the bottom.
- lots of good articles.
- www.gamelan.com - "Official Java
Directory", a listing of services, tutorials, sample code
- www.dejanews.com - Java news group. (1.
programming & software, 2. Find Discussion: JAVA)
- http://www.ibm.com/java - IBM's JCentral
- Online Magazines - this is a list emailed to me. Have not had a
chance to check out.
Java Resources (General, FAQ, etc...)
Java - Testing Sites
- Must order Exam from Sun Corp - 800-422-8020 ($150.00)
- http://www.sylvanprometric.com - Sylvan
Prometric - 800-959-3926, to find testing sites choose "Find a Testing Center".
Java Training - (ILT, WBT, & Distance Learning)
If you have the funds available here are some links to ILT (Instructor Led
Training), Web Based Training, and Distance Learning. I have not tried any of these training methods.
Java - Miscellaneous
- J2ME - API for Java on memory limited devices like: cellular phones, PDAs,
- JVM - Java Virtual Machine
- CVM - C Virtual Machine (C=compact
and connected consumer-oriented devices) - Java small footprint - typically
used with devices that have a 32-bit
microprocessor/controller and more than 2.0MB
of total memory for the
storage of the virtual machine and libraries.
- KVM - Kilobyte Virtual Machine - Small limited JVM
that can be run on devices with 16/32-bit RISC/CISC
microprocessors/controllers, and with as little
as 160 KB of total memory available -- 128 KB of which is for the storage of
the actual virtual machine and libraries themselves.
Java Resources - Emails from visitors.
|www.vijaymukhi.com - some
tutorials and sample projects (code)
- "The Israeli Guide to J2ME"
- "Exercises in Java 2 (Standard Edition)"
- "The Israeli Guide to JSP"
- "The Israeli Guide to Servlets"
- "The Israeli Guide to JavaBeans"